Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Creation

         After reading the Weight of Glory by Lewis and Plantinga on the same day, it is easy to draw connections from one to the other. Lewis implies that Glory is found by gaining God’s approval and thus through humility. Plantinga says “According to God’s intelligence the way to thrive is to help others thrive; the way to flourish is to cause others to flourish; the way to fulfill yourself is to spend yourself.” The way to glorify God is to be humble and aid others on a path that is beneficial and helpful to them.  Both Lewis and Plantinga show the necessity of humility in the walk of a Christian life, and it is this path that we attempt to pursue.
The next point from reading in Plantinga that stuck out to me was the need to convince us that the world was not created by accident. “Creation is neither a necessity nor an accident. Instead, given God’s interior life that overflows with regard for others, we might say creation is an act that was fitting for God” I would like to understand why this point is necessary. It seems that Plantinga is trying to come up with a reason for our creation and I do not think I can accept that he knows the answer to that question. Yes, I see his point that the relationship shared and happening in the trinity is full of a love and of a nature we cannot perceive. Yes I understand that God has an abundance of grace, life, goodness and joy that pores out of Him. But with the argument that Plantinga uses it seems that the question next would be why then and not sooner or later (although really we would not know either way).  I am grateful that God has created us, but I do not think that anyone can even grasp at the why. Plantinga makes a sound argument for his proposal, I just happen to think that no one can explain the actions of God. 
Finally, I come to the image of God. It is an incredible blessing that God has bestowed upon man to be formed in His image. Plantinga gives three reasons why we are like God: dominion over the animals; living in a loving communion with each other; and conforming to Christ in suffering and death. These things are parts that are given to each human being, but every Christian should strive to perfect. Dominion over the land is a task to preserve the natural beauty and to empower the creatures of the world rather than to overtake them. The idea that we could live in a perfect communion with each other as the trinity does would change the world if only a small effort were made. The final point is one that I struggle the most with. How are we to conform to Christ? Willing suffering and enduring pain is not something that I am very good at, but I will continue to try.   

4 comments:

  1. Rachel, I am really glad that you talked about the quote "According to God’s intelligence the way to thrive is to help others thrive; the way to flourish is to cause others to flourish; the way to fulfill yourself is to spend yourself." When I read this, I thought instantly of our parents. When I think about them, I think how they have so sacrificially given so much so that I can thrive both spiritually and physically. Parents find so much pride and joy in their children and part of that reason is because they have spent themselves so much on their kids. I am very glad that Plantinga said that in this chapter. I feel it is a humbling quote. Thank you for your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to dig up my Theology-131 notes after reading this, because you dove into some great theological issues!
    Plantinga is surely knee-deep in theological sticky points in discussing a "reason" for creation. However, I don't think he is necessary stating what he believes is a final, definite "reason" why God created. He is just saying that there IS a reason (and throws out some ideas). I believe he is addressing much deeper theology than he has time to go into.
    We learned in Theo131 that "God creates with freedom and purpose," with purpose meaning a sense of 'logical-ness' or 'meaning' or 'rightness' which is all basically to refute a heretical view that creation has no reason. In the past (and maybe this is the same as what Plantinga was addressing in talking about the anti-realists), some have tried to claim that creation has no logical order: God just made it however he wanted. But we believe that God made it purposefully, as a meaningful reflection of himself, etc.
    I wonder if we'll ever understand or know a reason why God created. Perhaps we shouldn't. Who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel, this whole conversation is grade-A. Why did God create? It is easy to say (as someone did in class), that it is because he is a Creator. The problem with this is simply that one could ask, "Why is Gad a Creator?"--providing the obvious answer.
    I have thought about this so much today that the best way I can picture the answer is that God Created because with out creation, there is no HE, or, to sound spookier, God. I am not scared of being looked at as crazy, because I know that Jesus is my Lord and Savior. Please just follow my thought for a second without disgust. I am not saying that at one time there was no God, because, by definition, God is eternal and has always existed outside of time. My belief (or wonderment), is that to be outside of time requires that there IS Time. So, though I will use a contradictory phrase, BEFORE TIME God was not a He.

    Therefore, I can picture, to the best of my ability, why God Created the universe.

    I'm sure I have probably just confused you and made myself out to be a heretic, but anyway thought I'd share that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed how you included your section on humility. I think it is so easy to forget that in order to thrive and flourish we must help others thrive and flourish. I think that is a great tie-in between the two pieces we read. It is an interesting point we did not get to talk about in class so I'm glad you brought it up!

    ReplyDelete